Wednesday 16 December 2015

It's Not Cocky to Say You are Awesome: You Deserve It


In today's narcissistic, "every man for themselves" society, it is very easy to feel lost in the crowd, especially with all the expectations that are placed on us as people. No one wakes up in the morning thinking about how great a job you did at work the other day, or how fantastic it is that you have found a new hobby, or the fact that you are beginning to gain a newfound confidence in your craft. Positive accomplishments as such do indeed deserve recognition, but realistically, sometimes we are burdened with more negativity then anything and because of this, we beat ourselves up.


We beat ourselves up for thinking we are not as great as someone else, we beat ourselves up for not being where we want to be in our lives/careers, we beat ourselves up because we feel as if we aren't enough, and finally, we beat ourselves up based on the opinions of others. Constantly, we are bombarded with distractions that tell us we can't do certain things and that we are limited in our accomplishments.



However, it is important to work on changing that mindset. Yes, everyone has things that need improvement and yes we do have insecurities within us that tell us we can't be successful in whatever it is we desire for ourselves, but nonetheless, we deserve to give ourselves credit for how far we have come and what we bring to the table as people. We have to do this for ourselves, because constant validation from other people is close to nonexistent.



For me, I'm damn proud of myself for starting a blog and expressing my authentic voice. I'm proud that I am a writer and a fabulous one at that. I'm proud that in spite of succumbing to negativity sometimes, I am determined to build myself as a person and thus keep going. I'm proud for continuing on with charm and class on a daily basis even through I struggle with depression from time to time, and I'm proud for being unique, articulate, ambitious, creative, and having the ability to connect with people. Acknowledge your strengths despite feelings of inadequacy and fear in this world. Start small by beginning to see yourself as awesome. Not only will it take you far, but you deserve it.


No comments:

Post a Comment